I am always on a look out for a quick dinner ideas. With two school-aged children and multiple afterschool activities, there is not a lot of time to spend in a kitchen during a week. Weekends on the other hand are completely opposite. I enjoy spending my time in the kitchen and create delicious and nutritious meals for my family, with occasional treat, of course.
These zesty shrimp tacos are easy and super quick to make yet they are bursting with flavours. And because they are done in about 20 minutes or so, they are perfect for midweek dinner or even a quick lunch if you are in a rush. And the best part of these tacos is that they are made with fresh and healthy ingredients, so it is definitely a bonus for me.
Another great thing about tacos is that they are very versatile. If you have a fussy eater like I do, you can easily add or remove some of the ingredients, and they still will be delicious to eat.
Ok, back to the recipe. Start by prepping your shrimp marinade by adding to a medium sized bowl juice of 2 limes, olive oil, minced garlic, chilli flakes, ground coriander, salt, pepper and some fresh chopped parsley. Then add raw shrimps and stir well. Just do not forget to clean and de-veined them first. Leave them to marinate for five to 10 minutes.
While your shrimps are marinating, prepare the avocado and chilli salsa. You will need two ripe avocados for this salsa. Simply cut avocado in halve, remove the pit and with a help of a spoon remove the flesh of avocado then dice it. Transfer to a bowl. Next you will need half of a red onion, just dice it and toss it into the bowl. Next is chilli – you will need to deseed the chilli pepper and thinly slice it. Then transfer into the bowl. To finish avocado salsa add olive oil, little bit of lime juice and some freshly chopped coriander. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Set aside.
Heat a grill to a medium high heat and grill the shrimps for 2-3 minutes on each side or until pink in colour. Remove from skewers.
Now you are ready to assemble your tacos – divide grilled shrimps and avocado salsa between tortilla wraps. For extra crunch you can add red cabbage or some salad leaves. Enjoy!
Shrimp Tacos With Chilli and Avocado Salsa
- 24 shrimps raw, cleaned and de-veined
- 8 flour tortilla wraps
- Shredded red cabbage optional
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbs finely chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
For avocado salsa:
- 2 ripe avocados diced
- 1 chilli pepper deseeded and thinly sliced
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 tbs finely chopped coriander
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To a medium size bowl add lime juice, olive oil, chilli flakes, minced garlic, ground coriander and parsley; season with salt and pepper. Add shrimps and leave to marinade for 5-10 minutes.
- To make salsa place diced avocados, onion, sliced chilli pepper and coriander to a medium size bowl, then add olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Preheat grill to a medium high. Thread the shrimps on the wooden skewers and grill for 2-3 minutes on each side or until pink in colour. Remove from skewers.
- To assemble tacos, divide shrimps between tortilla wraps and top with avocado salsa. Add shredded cabbage to add a crunch.